I have posted an updated version
Given my plans to rather sooner than later upgrade my server to IIS7, I am currently switching all applications to ASP.NET 2.0 in preparation of this move. But there was nGallery, which I used all over the place when I needed a photo gallery...
Today I decided it was about time to do something about it, and gave converting nGallery to .NET 2.0 a try (actually all the projects target .NET Framework 3.5). Turns out it took me roundabout two hours for this whole endeavour. To save everybody else time, here is my VS2008 solution tree:
nGalleryTNG.zip (2.92 MB)
What is changed compared to the original nGallery 1.6.1 for ASP.NET 1.1? Here is a somewhat complete laundry list:
- Converted it to a Web Application project
- Placed all third party source code in the ThirdParty folder. That way I can always change and recompile if necessary.
- Took all static images from the \photos directories and put them into \images. No more mixing the photo handler & photo cache with the Web site's images.
- The album handler is now being abused in Application_BeginRequest, plus it now uses RewritePath. Fixes the darn Server.Transfer errors.
- Moved the configuration of nGallery from the data folder to App_Data. Other than that: no configuration changes.
I did not switch to ASP.NET 2.0 master pages, it still uses the old user control approach. But after all, I only needed it in a working fashion for 2.0+.
Note: I only tested the XML-based storage because that's how I use nGallery. The SQL-storage has received no testing whatsoever!
Download Web site files only: nGalleryTNG_WebSite.zip (924.39 KB)